There is a very simple problem with anti-Semitism in the UK and Europe. We don’t know exactly what it is.
What is a Semite anyway? And what does being anti-Semitic mean? A Semite could be defined as “someone who belongs to the Semitic peoples. The Semites are supposedly descended from the biblical Shem, the eldest son of Noah.” But these decedents include Jews, Muslims, Christians and many Middle and near Easterners who derive their beliefs through the Abrahamic faith lineage. And being “anti” something or someone, could mean being a rival or being opposed to. But this is a very confused picture which suggests that Anti-Semitism literally means being “opposed to the descendants of Shem”. So does an anti-Semite oppose most of the Middle Easterners?
I often refer to the EU Working Definition of Anti-Semitism when writing about it, when accusing people of it or when wishing to point out why society’s actions are performing it. The Working definition is as follows:
Anti-Semitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of anti-Semitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.
In addition, such manifestations could also target the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectively. Anti-Semitism frequently charges Jews with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Jews for “why things go wrong.” It is expressed in speech, writing, visual forms and action, and employs sinister stereotypes and negative character traits.
In truth, the definition doesn’t help much because by the time I’ve finished explaining why someone or something is anti-Semitic time has passed, people have moved on and the situation and the argument has been lost. Some of the most notable recent examples which fit this definition, here in Britain, include:
- A recent survey proposed that only North Korea is more unpopular than Israel.
- British students have been celebrating ‘Israel apartheid week’ with open anti-Semitism, intimidating those who try to voice any objection to their spite filled views.
- British educational and political institutions can invite the very worst hate speakers to tell you “how Jews are the descendants of pigs.”
- British universities can run completely one sided symposiums questioning the very existence of Israel with the full approval of their academic governors and peers.
- British MPs can issue legal proceedings against individuals who correctly identify anti-Semitic narratives they have espoused.
- British peers can use blood libel tropes in speeches within the Upper House of government with impunity.
- Charities openly siphon funds for politically active terror groups involved in attacks on Israel.
And it goes on…..
It never stops…..
There’s always more…..
Yet here’s what I consider one of the biggest problem with anti-Semitism. Why can’t we call it what it is? Can’t we drop the anti-Semitism label and call it what it is JEW HATRED. So try this:
- A recent survey demonstrated that only North Korea is more popular to hate than HATING JEWS;
- British students were able to celebrate Israel apartheid week with open JEW HATRED, threatening those who voiced objection to JEW HATRED;
- British educational and political institutions can invite JEW HATERS to espouse their invective scot-free;
- British universities can run symposiums to justify and seek legality for JEW HATRED;
- British MPs issue legal proceedings to the victims of their JEW HATING;
- British peers can use JEW HATE speeches in parliamentary debate with impunity and even be applauded by some in their peers;
- Charities can use their donations to fund international JEW HATING operations;
See, that’s the thing. Anti-Semitism doesn’t really tell you much. It’s anodyne, it’s anonymous, it’s unencumbered by connotations and it’s guilt free. Call a person a JEW HATER and the guilty are left in NO DOUBT of their crime and the victim is clearly identified.
HATE is the crime
The HATER is the criminal
The Jew is the victim.
It says it all, and it says it concisely and to the point.
And perhaps here we can learn something from Hamas. They have not bothered shrouding their JEW HATRED in metaphors or harmless synonyms. Read Article 7 of the Hamas charter. It hasn’t changed. It isn’t denied. It’s public, loud and proud:
The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him!
So kudos to Hamas for their honesty. They know better than most how to be
anti-Semites… correction… JEW HATERS!